Diarrhea is the presence of frequent, soft or liquid bowel movements, which may be accompanied by gas and cramping. Diarrhea CAN begin 2-3 weeks after treatment starts and continues for about two weeks after treatment is completed. While diarrhea can be uncomfortable and distressing, relief can be obtained.
IF DIARRHEA OCCURS:
- If bowels are loose, take Metamucil three times a day.
- Follow residue restricted/minimal fiber diet: restrict fresh fruits and vegetables - see handout.
- Make sure you eat foods high in potassium. These include bananas, apricots or peach nectar, fish, potatoes and meat.
- Drink plenty of fluids, about 2 to 3 quarts daily.
- Avoid gas forming foods and drinks such as the cabbage, beans, chewing gum, beer and carbonated beverages.
- Avoid milk and dairy products except for cottage cheese, yogurt and non-fat boiled milk.